Year 12 Scholarships
At Ipswich High School we offer two scholarships to Year 12 entrants, with scholarships available for both internal and external students.
The Orwell Scholarships
The Orwell Scholarships can be awarded to both external and internal Sixth Form candidates on the basis of ability, potential and qualities necessary to make a significant and ongoing contribution to the quality of school life. These are all-rounder scholarships and we are looking for pupils with flair in any subject. Applicants will have the ability both to lead and to be part of a team, have sound personal qualities including enthusiasm, consideration, motivation and integrity, show talent in extra-curricular activities and academic strength indicative of the potential to achieve good GCSE and A Level grades. Applicants for the Orwell Scholarship are expected to:
- Write a Personal Statement to outline their achievements to date and state why they feel they make an excellent candidate for the scholarship
- Complete a scholarship application form
- Sit a Verbal Reasoning test and have a meeting with the Director of Sixth Form or the Deputy Head.
The Elliston Award
We guarantee to offer at least one of our Elliston Awards up to the value of 50% of our school fees to suitable applicants from each state-funded school in Suffolk or Essex. We will also consider applications from pupils currently receiving bursaries to attend other independent schools. The award is offered for both years of Sixth Form study for those who meet our criteria. All applicants for this award must:
- Be studying for GCSEs
- Be predicted/have achieved seven 6-9 grades in their GCSE subjects
- Have a letter of recommendation from their current school
- Be motivated and have the potential to succeed
All applicants will be interviewed by our Director of Sixth Form. Pupils applying for the Elliston Award may also apply for the Orwell Scholarship.