Senior School Admissions
We welcome applications for all year groups in our Senior School, depending on availability of places. Children joining the Senior School will sit formal examinations and assessments and we will also request a reference from your child’s current school on receipt of your Registration Form.
Children entering the Senior School into Year 7 are welcome to make an application for scholarships.
Typical Entry Points
Although below is the typical schedule for Year 7 entry, depending on availability we are be able to accept applications and make assessments at other times for all Senior School year groups. If you are interested in applying for Senior School entry, please contact the Registrar to discuss availability.
Year 7 Admissions Dates for September 2020
- 11th October: Deadline for submitting Year 7 Gainsborough Scholarship applications.
- 1st November: Deadline for bursary applications.
- 1st November: Deadline for submitting Registration Form.
- 7th – 8th November: Scholarship interviews and assessments for short-listed applicants.
- 13th November: Entrance Examination and assessments. The Entrance Examination for Year 7 entry consists of two formal papers: English (comprehension and creative writing) and Mathematics. Additionally, your child will take part in a group activity with the Head of Year 7 and Assistant Head (Pastoral). Please click the following links to view and download practice papers for our English and Maths entrance exams.
- Offers of Admission made.
- Scholarship recipients informed.
- Bursary recipients informed.
- First Monday in March: Deadline for acceptance of place.
Year 7 Scholarships
At Ipswich High School we offer scholarships for Year 7 entrants, which are available for both current and new pupils. The Christchurch Academic Scholarship which is awarded to the top-performing children based on performance in the Entrance Examination. These are awarded by the Head so there is no application. Our Gainsborough Scholarships are awarded to Year 7 entrants who excel in Art, Drama, Music or Sport. Each department has a different assessment process to determine whether a child is outstanding in these areas.