A Level History2018-04-06T10:19:16+00:00

A Level History

Exam Board: AQA History A Level

The Course

Over the course of two years we will study the following topics;

Component 1: Breadth study – The quest for political stability: Germany, 1871–1991
Component 2: Depth study – The Making of Modern Britain, 1951–2007
Component 3: Historical investigation (Personal study) Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy, 1603-1702

In Year 12 we will focus on The Making of Modern Britain, 1951–2007 in the Autumn and Spring terms. In the Summer term you will be taught an overview of Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy, 1603–1702 which leads into your individual research for personal study question. The personal study gives you an opportunity to investigate an issue of your own choosing. This will enable you to develop skills in analysis and evaluation and to gain experience of independent study.

Exams and Assesment

20% of your final grade will be based on your personal study. The remaining 80% will be assessed as written examinations, which take place at the end of Year 13. There will be two examinations, each lasting 2 hours 30 minutes.

University Courses and Careers

Studying History at A-Level will help you with other essay subjects like English Literature, Languages, Philosophy and Ethics, Psychology and Economics. As it helps you develop both writing and analysis skills, it can also be really useful alongside a science subject or Maths to broaden your knowledge and abilities.

If you want to study History at university or, in some cases, American Studies at university, you will need to take it at A-Level. Although you won’t need it for other specific courses, the Russell Group recommends History as an excellent subject for keeping your options open when choosing a degree. It can be especially useful for courses that include elements of history and essay writing like: Archaeology, Economics, Classical Studies, Modern Languages, English, History of Art, Law, Politics, Teaching and Religious Studies.

With your well-developed analytical, writing, debating and evaluation skills, you will be primed for a huge range of careers including law, politics, public sector, business, marketing, journalism, economics, teaching, academia, insurance, social research, archaeology and curation (museums, galleries, archives and libraries).