The Outdoor Classroom and Forest School
At Ipswich High School we are extremely fortunate to have a beautiful and vast environmental resource to play, learn and work in and our grounds are very much part of our curriculum and ethos.
In the Woodland Pre-Prep and Junior School, our Forest School sessions provide us all with a chance to explore and investigate our Woodland which offers a unique teaching and learning experience in an ever changing environment. We believe that this captures our children's curiosity, stimulates their senses, builds their self-confidence and nurtures their well-being.
- To develop social and team working skills
- To provide opportunities for individuals to develop, to learn and have fun
- To provide a safe and non-threatening environment in which children can take risks, make choices and initiate their own learning
- To help children respect, appreciate, utilise and care for their natural outdoor environment
- To develop confidence and self-esteem and have a positive outlook to outdoor learning
- To develop a happy, welcoming and secure environment
- To enable children to be independent, self-motivated and considerate to one another
Outdoor learning ultimately is fun and children who are happy and interested will learn quickly and be motivated to find out more. This applies as much to the Senior School pupils as the Juniors, and Year 7-13 teachers provide many opportunities to work outside - from Scientific research and Maths puzzles to open air drama productions and art lessons! To learn more about our unique environment, please come and visit. We look forward to sharing our inspirational outdoor learning with you.